Tuesday 19 July 2011

SWFC - Fans View

The Fans View!

As the new season nears, Sheffield Wednesday fans will be hoping for a much better season on the field after last seasons rollercoaster ride on and off the pitch. I have asked several questions to some Sheffield Wednesday fans about their views on the upcoming season and about the club as a whole. Enjoy reading!.



.




1. What are your thoughts of last season, on and off the field?

Tommy -  'Last season was a severe disappointment yet also a rude awakening for us as lets be fair we all expected to waltz the league and be preparing for the championship now. Instead we took thrashings on the road at places like Exeter & Tranmere. It all started so well aswell, comfortably sitting in the top two at Christmas due to good results such as the away victory over Hartlepool before plummeting down the league quicker than united spiral into debt'

Carly -  'I think Last season was up and down, there was so many high expectations and pressure to go straight back up to the championship, that fans just got disappointed when the team went through a bad patch but towards the end the team and manager pulled together and started playing football like the Wednesday we know.'

Liam -  'Last season was a nightmare post-Christmas. Started the season well in 2nd place going into the festive season and I started to feel confident in the lads that we can bounce back at the 1st attempt. Sadly, the 5-1 thumping at Exeter started a downward spiral. Never really recovered until April when we started to win games again when it was too late.'

Lewis -  'Last season in terms of progression on the pitch, was an absolute shambles, we had a squad that was more than capable of getting the necessary results, but obviously that wasn't the case. Off the pitch was entirely different... Eventually, I and many other Wednesday fans were close to tears as the winding up orders and court dates came around in full force, until of course Milan Mandaric came in and saved us.'

2. With a new era upon us, how strong do we currently look this season?

Tommy - 'We don't really look that strong in fairness we are lacking strength in depth aswell as several first teamers to improve us on last season i would say at the moment we are currently weaker than last season despite the additions we have made'

Carly -  'I feel very positively about this season, some great new signings, a fitter squad and I think we have a very high chance of qualifying for the play offs'

Liam - 'In my opinion, we look stronger. Megson has got rid of the crap in Teale, Potter, etc which can only be seen as a positive and we have signed better replacements.'

Lewis - 'We look much stronger, obviously with the likes of Bennett and Prutton for example, being rated much higher than those they replaced, we also look financially sound, which is an unusual feeling as a Wednesday fan.' 

3. Are you satisfied with the signings of, Jones, Prutton, Semedo and Bennett?  
Rob Jones

Tommy - 'Having been fortunate to witness both games of pre season so far i have been impressed with the signings, Jones we know from his time here last season where he impressed quite a lot and lead with example this earning him move back and the captains armband. Jose Semedo for me is a real coup one of our title rivals captain and player of the season on a free who goes about his business quietly, His central midfield partner in Prutton is a real battler strong in the tackle and his range of passing is something else. Julian Bennett for me is the key signing so far turning one of our weakest spots into a strength is a good move by Megson, he is very vocal and commanding and willing to look for the overlap all the time.

Carly - 'These signings are great, and are strengthening the squad for next season, I am most definitely satisfied'  

David Prutton
Liam -  'Rob Jones was always a fans favourite. Worked hard, won most balls in the air and we chanted "Sign him up" when he went off in the final match of the season.

Prutton is a tank in the centre of midfield. Great signing and controlled the ball well at Worksop at the weekend.

 



Semedo is a good signing. Charlton's player of the season for 10/11 and they release him? Their loss is our gain.

I've heard great things about Bennett, particularly from Nott'm Forest fans. Never afraid to put a tackle in and putting in decent crosses in the box and he's chips in with the odd goal every now and then so all in all another great signing.'


Lewis - 'I'm delighted with them, especially Bennett and Semedo who are rated highly by both their former clubs respectively. I'm also pleased to have secured Rob Jones, who I believe will be a key figure this season, likewise with Prutton.'

4. Which areas (if any) would you like to see improved before the season starts? 

Tommy - 'Ideally we need two strikers as we only have the 2 (Madine & Clinton) on our books at the moment and this is insufficient for us to compete, The rumored two signings of Mellor & COG would please me we all know Mellor knows where the goal is from last season and lets not forget he only played half the season. COG is a different option for us he is versatile and can play winger which would be ideal for the rumored 4-3-3 tactic we wish to play i also believe we could do with two more wingers Marc Pugh of Bournemouth & Myles Weston of Bournemouth would be ideal in my opinion.'

Carly - 'Before the season starts I would like to see team spirit improved, to make sure it's the Wednesday we all know who never give up.'
 
Liam - 'Quite simple. We need a striker (or 2)! Morrison and Madine need back-up. If we can sign Mellor and O'Grady then great. If not we'll have to look elsewhere, but we need at least 1 before August 6th. Another winger as well we need, someone like Dyer.' 

Lewis - 'For me, we need more attacking options, it's plain to see that we need suitable cover for both Madine and Morrison. I'd like to see Neil Mellor make a return, and one other, I'm unsure on who.
I also think we're slightly lacking in wide men too, Jermaine Johnson is often liable to injury and Chris Sedgwick/Daniel Jones aren't consistent enough for me.
'

5. Views on Milan Mandaric? 

Milan is a Saviour at S6
Tommy - 'Milan is a hero for rescuing the club in it's darkest hour no doubt about that. However I am concerned with his record of hiring and firing managers, the best thing a club needs is stability. I would like to see him provide funds, providing it's the right players rather than wheeler dealing which we have seen so far. But I wouldn't want him to throw stupid amounts just to be sensible. However I do trust him wholly and trust his judgement.' 

Carly - '3 letters...GOD. He's been a huge impact on Wednesday and thank god he came to the rescue.'  

Liam - 'He saved the club. Enough said.'

Lewis - 'Milan Mandaric, to me is the 'savior' of our club, it's clear to see he cares about what we, the fans, think and is pushing to make sure we are financially sound for the future. A legend in many respects.'

'Megson has good support from fans'
6. Views on Gary Megson? 

Tommy -
'I wasn't entirely pleased with the appointment at first however he has won me over and i hope he does succeed it's just whether Milan has the patience to give him the time to do this.'

Carly - 'Gary Megson has had a huge impact on the squad, since he has been in charge. I along with other Wednesday fans have seen a huge improvement in the players' fitness and performance.'

Liam - 'Megson wasn't my first choice but I said I was prepared to give him a chance to see what he can do and I was doubting him when we were perilously close to the drop zone but he saved us and now since it's a new season, I'm wiping the slate clean and it's a new start for him.'

 Lewis - 'Obvious Gary Megson has strong connections to the club, he's known as being a Wednesdayite himself, as well as both him and his father playing here in their careers. He's a respectable manager, who knows the game in and out, the signings he has made are looking to be promising, only time will tell. He has my full support.'

7. And finally… Where do you think we’ll finish this season?

Tommy - 'Playoff winners.' 

Carly -  'I hope we'll finish in the play offs, my prediction is 5th.'

Liam - 'Well, like all SWFC fans, I want promotion even if it is through the dreaded play-off system and I'm sure most fans would back me on that Screw the League Cup/FA Cup/Johnstone's Paint Trophy. I want nothing more than promotion. Winning the league would be a bonus. Top 6 is the minimum we should be aiming for in my view.'

Lewis - 'Promotion is a must, no question about it, the fans won't accept anything less, neither will Mandaric, I'd love to see a top 2 finish but I predict we'll finish 3rd to 5th.'

Cheers for the comments everyone, much appreciated!

In this blog -

Tommy Tomlinson
Carly Uttley 
Liam Kelly 
Lewis Waddingham  

No comments:

Post a Comment